Intermountain Centers' Intermountain Academy offers the greater Tucson community a positive teaching environment for youth with specialized needs – a school that builds on each individual child’s strengths and interests. The Academy currently supports children with autism (grades K-12) with a provision of measurable academic achievement following an Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) model.
Building on nearly 45 years of experience in providing positive behavioral supports, Intermountain Academy provides:
- Classroom instruction
- Transition/integration support between referred students and their home school
- Opportunities for accelerated curriculum
- Behavior Assessment and Behavior Intervention Plan Development
- Monitoring Individual Education Plans (IEP) and reporting goal progress back to the home school
Tuition funding accepted from Southern Arizona public school districts and/or private pay by individuals. Disabled/Displaced and Low-Income scholarships are available through the Arizona Department of Education and the Arizona Leadership Foundation, serving as a conduit for GEICO Scholarship Funds.
The Intermountain Academy Curriculum:
- Utilizes positive behavioral support
- Maximizes measurable academic achievement in core subject areas – math, science, language arts, social studies, and the arts
- Is individually created for each student because of the school’s small student to faculty ratio
- Offers educational material in graduated sequences
- Is delivered by faculty well-trained in an empirical behavioral model, utilizing positive behavior support, emphasizing the concepts of programmed learning
- Includes educational and vocational opportunities in Pima County
- Is project-based and experiential, utilizing peer teaching, family support and participation, and community resources
- Supports positive replacement behaviors for anti-social and other behaviors which interfere with learning
- Meets the State and Federal Standards of Instructions and provides annual standardized testing, including AIMS.
Using positive behavior supports builds each student's self-confidence and creates an environment of motivation and challenge. At the Academy, educational skills and behaviors are tracked daily and the information is shared with parents and members of the child’s team, facilitating the creation of an adaptable IEP as the student progresses throughout the school year.
One of the Academy's educational goals is to facilitate the use of all forms of language and communication in classrooms that can accommodate the use of and teaching with augmentative communication devices when needed.